The third trimester is an apprehensive time for an expecting mother. The anticipation, the endless wait, the erratic emotions, and the experience is quite overwhelming While the to-do lists are endless, it is the perfect time to be mindful about what you pack in your hospital bag. Even though the delivery date can be predetermined by your gynecologist/ obstetrician, labor can be quite unexpected. To reduce the hassles and make you feel comfortable at the hospital, the following is a list of things that are a must in your hospital bag.
- Delivery kit: It could be anything that helps you cope with the delivery pain. A massage oil, pillow, and some magazines keep you distracted and soothe your labor pain. One tube sock with three tennis balls is a natural way to get relaxation from the labor pain. It needs the help of your partner to move the balls, stuffed in socks, up and down on your back to keep the labor pain at bay.
- Nursing Essentials: When the baby is born, it needs breastfeeding as a prime source of food and energy. Many new moms find difficulty with breastfeeding in the starting. Pack some breast pads and breast cream to reduce pain.
- Diapers: Buy a couple of dozen diapers from a top brand to keep the baby's skin free from rashes. A baby’s skin is sensitive to hard diapers. The diapers should be leakproof and comfortable for the baby's skin.
- Phone, camera, and chargers: You never know how long you might need to stay at the hospital. So, it’s good to have charged batteries in the phone. For documenting the baby’s delivery and her warm welcome in the world, a camera needs to be in the bag, too.
- Necessary Documents: Essential credentials like ID proof, health care, insurance plan, birth plan, etc. must be packed in a waterproof envelope to accompany you to the hospital. The documents are essential to know your case history and for medical insurance in case of any.
- Nursing bra: A nursing Bra helps to comfortably breastfeed your baby. In the case of bottle feeding, it is best to purchase a bra one size up as the breasts can swell during the breastfeeding phase
- Some treat to skip the hospital food: Doctors don’t recommend you to eat before the delivery once the labor starts. But some foody moms can’t follow every rule, and they don’t forget to pack some snacks and treats to eat after the delivery. Chocolate works in every situation - full of taste and calories - it’s the best help.
- Toiletries: Staying at the hospital doesn’t comfort all moms, as the products like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and moisturizers could be of different quality and brands that you prefer to use. Bathing and other body needs provoke stress; it could create a problem in delivery. So, it’s wise to pack your body's needs before you get disappointed. Check out MAATE to explore the varied ranges for new mommies!
- An excellent outfit to walk back home: Your maternity bag needs to have a comfy outfit to wear. The costume could be equal to the size you used to wear during the second trimester. One most important things to pack is a big size of underwear that comforts you. You probably won’t like the underwear provided at the hospital. Last but not least baby swaddle or baby blankets to carry the baby back home.